Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Fitness Update

Things haven't been all that good lately. At one point I was starting to feel very over trained and worn down, and honestly, now that I think about it, that was probably the root of all my recent problems. I took a week off of lifting to try to recover and at the same time was doing a lot of reading, trying to figure out the best plan. I got sick and stayed that way for a while, through last week in fact. My body has just been really down. On top of that, all the reading I did confused me far more than it helped. So at this point I've only been in the gym a handful of times this month and with Christmas break next week, I don't see that changing until after the new year.

It isn't all bad news though. I have been really good calorie-wise this week and I'm going to refocus myself as soon as I can get back in the gym. Things have been tough but like anything else, there are going to be tough times and easy times. I'm not going to let a few weeks of downturn morph into an excuse to quit.

I also have a new goal. Some friends of ours at church really want to run the Music City Half-Marathon in Nashville in April. I plan to train and run it also. Just having a goal has refocused me mentally. Alwyn Cosgrove preaches this on his blog and I agree. Train for athletic goals and the physique will follow. Just training for the mirror is hard mentally. It's like waiting for water to boil. It just never seems to happen until you ignore it. I'm going to make an effort to give myself athletic goals from now on and continue to work out and hopefully that will help my motivation down the road.

I'm a little bummed because I have lost a little muscle mass from not being in the gym and being sick but I'm not going to let it get me down. I have had a really good year fitness wise. I stuck with my work outs all year, even after spurts where time off and circumstances could have tempted me to quit. If you know me, then you know that I'm taking this seriously to have stuck with it this long.

Here's to another great fitness year, and hopefully even better progress!

No comments: