Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Civic Duty

Unfortunately when I say "civic duty" I'm not talking about a funny story involving poop and a Honda. No, this is a far cry from that.

I'm on call for jury duty for my county for the next two months. So far I've been on one trial and will probably end up being on several before all is said and done. It was really interesting the first time, but I'm already feeling that wear off. I can't see how it will be anything but boring from here on out.

First of all I'm a pretty anxious person and being trapped in a jury box that I can in no way escape from should I want to is a definite trigger. I spent several minutes doing some deep breathing in the first trial. It's not a claustrophobia thing, more a lack of control thing. I don't like being in situations where I don't have control over want I want to do. It makes me nervous.
Hospitals also have this affect on me, I have no idea why.

The only nice thing is the $20 I get for showing up for a selection every time. I've had my eye on the new ipod shuffle for a while now so it's looking like I might be able to get one.

Beyond that there is the fun of meeting new people. Some of the other people in my jury pool are pretty cool. This one guy that sat beside me in the last trial was hilarious. First of all he couldn't hear a thing I said unless I practically shouted in his ear, but beyond that, I don't think he suffered from my same nervousness as he slept through most of the morning testimony. I saw concerned faces all over the courtroom staring at us in the jury. I wondered if someone behind me was getting sick or something and in my process of looking around I see him beside me out cold. I elbowed him and woke him up, but I still can't believe that they didn't kick him out of the jury. I can only imagine that the guy on trial probably wouldn't have been to pleased about it.

Anyway, it's an interesting experience but one I will be happy to dispense with. Once was cool and interesting but I can't see it staying that way.

No comments: