Friday, January 12, 2007

Way Better...

In a previous post, I said that college football needed a playoff and I presented a plan, so here is how I think things would have gone under my system after seeing all these teams in their respective bowl games.

Playoff Seeding
1 Ohio State 12-0
2 Boise State 12-0
3 Florida 12-1
4 Louisville 11-1
5 USC 10-2
6 Notre Dame 10-2
7 Oklahoma 11-2
8 Wake Forest 11-2

Notre Dame and Boise State would earn the wild cards that I discussed in my previous post, based on record and strength of schedule. The other teams are the 6 major conference champions.

I based the above seeds on how the teams finished the regular season. Overall record carried the most weight followed by strength of schedule as the tie breaker. I know Boise State isn't the second best team, but that isn't the point. They earned that spot by going undefeated.

So here is what the first round would look like:

Round 1
1 Ohio State 12-0
8 Wake Forest 11-2
You have to figure OSU could handle Wake, despite their lackluster showing against a faster Florida. This is no Florida.

4 Louisville 11-1
5 USC 10-2
Do we even need to discuss this one? USC big.

3 Florida 12-1
6 Notre Dame 10-2
Notre Dame has shown itself to be a paper tiger and Florida has shown itself to be no joke. Florida big.

2 Boise State 12-0
7 Oklahoma 11-2
No need to discuss this game as it actually happened. Boise in a thriller.

So now lets take a look at what the second round would look like. No reseeding here, just a straight up bracket.

Round 2
1 Ohio State 13-0
5 USC 11-2
Clearly USC handled a team in Michigan that gave OSU a tough game. I hate to say it, but after that OSU performance, I have to take USC here, probably in a rout.

3 Florida 13-1
2 Boise State 13-0
Cinderella hits midnight, not enough tricks in the bag to give Florida much of a game.

So here is what my championship game would have looked like, and I have to say that this is probably the game that everyone wanted to see after all the BCS games were done.

Championship
5 USC 12-2
3 Florida 14-1
Florida's speed versus USC's. Both defenses were brutal against similar opponents. Florida was the more consistent team throughout the year though, so I have to give them the nod.

So we end up with the same champion but that wasn't really the point. Ohio State would have been exposed earlier and Boise State would have had the chance to move on and make a Cinderella type run. Plus I think the Championship game would have been much more exciting.

Even as a buckeye fan I would prefer this system. Championships should be decided on the field and this system would provide a lot more excitement and interest than what we currently have. Plus it's about as fair as any system could be as far as I'm concerned.

No comments: