Thursday, April 19, 2007

Fitness Update

Well my goal of running the half marathon didn't happen. My knee started giving me trouble when I ran and no matter what I did it just got worse. It only seemed to affect my running though which is good, so I imagine that it was just some sort of repetitive stress injury.

So now I'm back to weight lifting as I said before. I've put Weight Loss (for the record, I don't personally endorse diet pills, as I don't think they work, and I have questions about their safety) on the shelf for now and am focusing 0n bulking. I think that the big mistake I made early on was trying to get lean enough to show off my muscle but forgetting that I have to build muscle to show off first. The body comp results I have bear this out as well. My lowest body fat % to date was one that I had during a bulking month where I wasn't watching my diet at all. The extra muscle I built made the real difference. So I'm going to focus on the Hypertrophy plans from the book I mentioned in the last update and try to eat enough to build muscle. I also picked up another book call "From Scrawny To Brawny" that is written for tall lanky people like me who have trouble building muscle. I'm hoping it will tell me the best way to eat etc.

I'm going to get my body comp tested again soon but instead of focusing on the body fat %, I'm going to focus on the lean mass, and try to get that number as high as I can. Then when I feel like I have built enough muscle, I will do some more cutting to try to get more lean and show it off more.

I continue to learn, and at least now I don't feel as confused as I once did.

No comments: