Saturday, April 28, 2007

Waffles Are Good

Ok so I didn't see that coming at all. I'm extremely glad that they got Thomas with the 3rd overall pick, and believe it or not, I think they did the right thing in getting Quinn in the late first round as well. The jury is still out on them giving up next years first round pick however. I still haven't decided if that was a good idea or not.

First of all let me say that despite my rant below, I don't think Quinn is talentLESS, just not worth a 3rd overall pick. My diatribe below was based on the assumption that they would take him with their only first round pick at #3 and fail to address the other more pressing issues to get an overhyped QB. However, that being said, I had hoped that they would spend a less valuable 2nd round pick on a future QB prospect like Drew Stanton or the like. Or even possibly Troy Smith in the 4th round. So the fact that Quinn was still available at 22 and they made the move to get him doesn't make me angry at all. That was a great value for that 2nd round pick. That was my main concern was the Browns getting value for their picks. Quinn was a late first early second round talent, and that was where they got him. Granted, I still have serious misgivings about his ability to play in the NFL, but with O-Line revamped, he might at least have a chance. Plus I'm hoping that his desire to prove the teams that passed on him wrong, might spur him on a bit.

I know it sounds like I'm waffling but I'm really not. You have to read my previous post while keeping in mind that I was talking about them taking him 3rd overall. That would have been wasted value, and then there is also the fact that I was pretty disgruntled at all the talk of him being taken by the Browns when they have so many other needs. He still needs to show me a lot more in the mental department when a lot is on the line, but I'm willing to give him a shot when our whole draft success doesn't hinge on him and we don't have 35 mill tied up in him. I'm also a bit of a softy after it came out today about how big of a Browns fan he is. It's hard not to like a guy who grew up going through the same stuff you did as a Browns fan and then getting the chance to play for them. I at least know that he will give them his all which is all anyone can hope.

Say what you will but for the first time in a while I feel like the Browns used their picks very wisely to address the REAL needs that the team has. That and the fact that I was so happy that they took Thomas at #3, that I feel like getting Quinn later also feels like getting two top 5 players in the first round.

Anyway, I'm pleased and I feel like they drafted smart. I even heard talk that they might be the draft "winners" so far in the court of public opinion. I don't think I've ever heard the Browns described like that before, and I like the way it sounds.

No comments: