Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Baby Rory

I had an offer to go up to Firestone this week to see the 3rd round of the WGC event, but due to a family reunion I was forced to decline. I missed a good time as I expected, but what really caught my attention was what Rory Sabatini did on sunday.

For those that don't know, Rory was quoted earlier in the year saying something to the effect that "Tiger was now more beatable than ever". This was said after Tiger struggled to win a tournament early in the year. He did win, though.

Well this past weekend, Rory and Tiger were in the final group on Sunday tied for the lead and Tiger took him behind the woodshed. Rory was never in it from the start and put up a 74 to Tiger's 65.

The funny part was that at the turn, a fan apparently yelled to Rory about "how beatable he thought Tiger was now?" I have no problem with guys talking big as long as they handle the come-backers like a man. Well Rory didn't. Apparently he had the guy THROWN OUT of the tournament. He was so upset at having been called out on his own comments that he had the guy thrown out. I can't think of a better reason to root against someone than that. Needless to say I will be enjoying every bogey he makes for the rest of his career, and as a huge Tiger fan, I was glad to see Tiger just rip him to shreds.

You had to love Tiger's comeback to the original taunt by Rory as well.

"He has 3 wins in his career? I have 3 wins this year".

Can't say it any better than that.

No comments: